Friday, December 30, 2011

It was a very good year

I've never celebrated New Year's too enthusiastically.  I guess I'm still getting over Christmas. Or maybe it's just that January 1st won't really be that much different than December 31st, will it? But I realize that the New Year holiday serves a good purpose: a chance to look back with gratitude is coupled with a chance to look forward with expectation.

I'm grateful for 2011....these things come to mind...

Sofia Elisabeth. We maxed out our family quiver with the fourth (and final!) child, born June 10th. We endured a challenging and memorable adventure while she was hospitalized for 6 weeks at birth. Never once in all that time did any hospital employee ever talk to me about hospital bills, payments, insurance, or how we were going to pay for it all. And I've never received a bill. (Your tax dollars at work!)  And we were able to rack up some serious airline miles as we flew back and forth to San Antonio! Six months later, Sofia has totally caught up, plumped up, and is approaching baby sumo wrestler status.

Ellie turned two, and she is one of the most spectacular gifts my heart has ever received. She is darling in every way, and as far as I'm concerned, the only thing "terrible" about the two-year old stage is that it doesn't last forever. She talks to me. I love it. Recently, she's been telling me over and over about Santa Claus coming through the window, making her cry, giving her a gift, dropping his hat.... Her communication is half words, half gestures, and fully adorable! She is such a thrill!




David is 9 years old, strong and solid. He's compassionate and gentle, and very easy to love. He is becoming a very good guitar player. And he can really hit a baseball! His home run in the spring little league was a highlight for me. Here's the video of that moment, with me holding the camera and screaming my head off.




Donnieboy's middle name is "fun." The ideal 10 year old boy. He showed up at my office yesterday with inline skates on his feet, ball cap on his head, soccer ball under his arm, and backpack over his shoulder. The picture of fun! Each year, Donnie and I set up the Christmas lights together, and then we sit on a bench at dusk to admire our work. I love him deeply. He wants to be at church every chance he gets. He was totally committed to working all 7 nights of our Living Nativity.


Other gratitudes...

Our needs are met. The family is healthy. Our bills are paid. The cars run. Nancy's garden grew well. The chickens are laying a lot of eggs. We got a new fridge. I am able to continue my guitar studies. Here's my fall recital performance:




The ministry has been satisfying and meaningful. I read through the New Testament...in Spanish. We are plugged in to a superb Christian community. God has been very good to us.

Here are some expectations for 2012:

  • Nancy and I will celebrate 20 years of marriage on January 4th. Her friendship is sweet and special, the best gift I've ever received. I am deeply and decidedly in love with her.
  • Sofia's adoption will be finalized on January 12th.
  • In April I will see one of my dearest friends, visiting from Brasil.
  • The Flyers will win the Stanley Cup.
  • The boys will sign-up for Salao Soccer, then Spring baseball, then summer programs at church, and on it goes...
  • I'm buying a treadmill and going to get in shape. (Hey, stop laughing!)
  • Our family might actually be able to take a non-adoption-related vacation this year!
  • I think my mom and dad will spend next Christmas with us here in NJ!

Putting this all in writing has been good for me. Thank you, Heavenly Father, for all your kindnesses.
Happy New Year, everyone!

3 comments:

  1. this post brought tears. thanksgiving was dripping from it and it made me love God more. Nancy is beeeeautiful in that last picture. Love your family!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sweet place you have here! And precious family! Married 20 years : ) And I knew you guys when you were just youngin's!

    I agree with Jamie. The pic of Nancy is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for reading and commenting. My friend Samuel from Paraguay posted on Facebook about the things of this past year for which he was grateful. It encouraged me and inspired me to sit down and do the same. Dwl

    ReplyDelete