Thursday, January 5, 2012

Love is timeless - Our 20 year anniversary

Maybe you say, "20 years! Wow! What a long time."

Nancy and I have been married for 20 years. But can I tell you something? That doesn't feel like a long time. In fact, my love for her feels as young as it ever did. I think love is timeless. My love for Nancy feels as fresh and wonderful as it did 20 years ago. Maybe even fresher.

We had dinner together at the Cheesecake Factory. We sat at a table for two. During the 15-20 minute wait for a table, I had said to Nancy, "I want it to feel like you and I are the only ones in here." "We are the only ones in here," she affirmed. We were disappointed when we ran out of that delicious pumpernickel bread. The couple at the next table must have overheard us. "Have ours," they said. "We're not going to eat it." So I guess we weren't the only ones in there after all....

I actually think I could make the argument that being married for 20 years might really be better than being newlyweds. We are comfortable with each other, and we have a great history of adventures that we've lived together. During dinner we might not have been chatting as incessantly as some of those couples out on their first date, but we didn't have to be. We already have so much that draws us together; words aren't always needed.

We did talk, though. We talked about what adventures might await us in the next 20 years. "Moving to a warmer climate would be nice," I offered. Nancy humored me. "Maybe some day," she agreed.

I kinda like her.

Also, the Ultimate Red Velvet Cake Cheesecake is very good.

No comments:

Post a Comment