Friday, March 23, 2012

In quest of the ultimate musical experience...

Does a musician ever get to the place where everything he plays sounds beautiful? Does he ever truly arrive?

I've been asked more than once, "Why do you take guitar lessons since you already know how to play?" Here's why: because music is a life-long pursuit. No. Even a lifetime is not enough; the pursuit of music must carry over into eternity.

It is my experience that every musical goal attained is like a beautiful meadow. When I view it from afar, I long to get there, to experience it personally. And then, once I arrive, I discover that beautiful meadow to be be merely one plateau that opens up into more and more beautiful meadows yet to be pursued and experienced.

More than 20 years ago I sat spellbound in front of my cassette player listening to a rendition of Heitor Villa-lobos' "Choro No. 1." I was enraptured, truly in awe. And I was convinced at that time, that if it were possible in my lifetime to ever be able to play that song, I would surely have attained the absolute pinnacle of guitaristic achievement and accomplishment. Surely, I would never ask for another thing. I would have reached guitar heaven! It would be the ultimate musical experience.

Alas! Delighted as I am to have learned and performed that song...(and I am determined to never let it fade from my repertoire!)..., I find more and more meadows inviting me to explore, to sample, to taste, to enjoy.

And I must go there. But at 45 years of age, I have a whole bookshelf of guitar music that I want to learn and enjoy. I've only scratched the surface. I'm sure that even if I to live to age 90, I won't get around to it all.

That's why I believe in God. And that's why I believe in eternity. God has put eternity in our hearts. It's that longing for more than this life alone can afford. Music is a small taste of that eternity, that longing, that certainty that there are more meadows to be experienced and enjoyed.

Thanks for listening. And next time, let's do less philosophizing, and get back to more funny stories about the kiddos! Right!

No comments:

Post a Comment