Friday, March 16, 2012

I scored the OT winner in my first game as a Flyer


Did you see my overtime game-winner last night? It certainly wasn't a highlight-reel spectacular goal by any means. But it did go in, the Flyers won, and I made history as the oldest, undrafted, unsigned, unexperienced, hockey player to every score a game-winning OT goal in his first game as a professional player.

It was great! Here's how it happened. It was a 4-on-4 OT, so there's so much more ice to work with. I felt like I was wide open, and I was streaking (figuratively speaking) up the right side of the ice. Though left-handed in most activities, I'm a right-handed shot in hockey, so I was playing right wing. I called out for the pass. I think I yelled something like, "Hit me!" or "I'm gone!" It wasn't exactly a break-away, as I don't skate all that fast. I didn't even it shoot it that hard. But when it slipped under the goalie's pads, I was like, "This is too awesome." I looked back toward the bench, and Lavvy was both smiling and shaking his head, as if to say, "I don't believe this."

What a feeling! I felt as if I had just discovered my new calling in life!

And then my alarm clock spoiled everything. Noooo!!!

Now I'm sitting at my desk with little to no chance of signing a contract any time soon. Or even an autograph, for that matter.

But on the bright side, I am going this afternoon with my boys to the homeschoolers' indoor skating party. Yeah, I'll probably do some autographs for the kiddos....

No comments:

Post a Comment