Friday, January 4, 2013

The Treadmill, one year later...

Father, 45; Baby, 6 mos.
I made a New Year's Resolution that I actually kept.  And I'm a better man because of it. On January 1, 2012, I stepped onto a treadmill and began my commitment to workout at least 10 times per month, running, either on the treadmill, or outside on the road if the weather is decent.

Want to see some before and after pictures? I'll share some with you at the end of this blog post. But first, here's an overview of the year on the treadmill. Then, maybe in a future post, I'll share some of the important lessons I learned.

I logged 350 miles over 12 months. I kept a record of every workout. This was a clear way to observe my progress month by month. Beginning in June, I was ready to take my running outside. Prior to that I was not in good enough shape to dare go out in public! With my iphone I used a GPS-based tracking app to calculate my runs, mileage, speed, and routes. www.endomondo.com! An awesome tool!

By late June, I joined a group of friends in running my first 5K.  It was an Alpha Team event, supporting cancer research, a worthwhile cause. It took place at Cooper River Park. It was a real highlight, a fun time, a beautiful day, accompanied by a very satisfying feeling of accomplishment.

Over time a funny thing happened. As my commitment continued, and I kept at it, I discovered that I did not simply have to run as a matter of commitment...I wanted to run, sincerely and truly. A day or two after a workout, my body would start saying, "Man, I need to get out there and run some more." It truly became a habit, a lifestyle that I wanted to do, and did not want to give up.

In December I celebrated this year-long commitment by running the length of the Ocean City, NJ Boardwalk (2.5 miles, up and back makes 5 miles!). A year ago, such a run would have been unthinkable.

If it sounds like I'm tooting my own horn, well, sorry about that. I think what I'm really doing is putting my thoughts into words as a way of celebrating what I was able to experience this year.

Now, in closing, here are the photos I promised.

Treadmill BEFORE a year of workouts

Treadmill AFTER a year of workouts
Thanks for reading.


2 comments:

  1. I'm proud of you but disappointed in the pictures!
    Love, Mom

    ReplyDelete