Friday, June 7, 2013

Real Facebook Friends and the $1.99 Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast

Are facebook friends "real" friends?

More importantly, "Whatever happened to the $1.99 Denny's Grand Slam Breakfast?"

I will address both of those crucial questions today, beginning with the former....or is it the latter...oh heck...beginning with the Denny's question.

This morning I paid a whopping $7.95 for my breakfast. (No, not at Denny's).  I ordered a large coffee, a small orange juice, and a cinnamon bun. Nothing more.  Hardly a breakfast, it was more like a snack. But $7.95? Seriously? My reaction was to ask, as I have asked many, many times, "Whatever happened to the $1.99 Grand Slam breakfast at Denny's." When I ask this question, my wife tells me I need to get with the times, because Denny's offered that $1.99 deal like 25 years ago.

Then I have a scary thought:  Am I turning into one of those people who constantly complain about modern life and long for the 'good old days' when everything was better?

No way! And I'll prove it right now by addressing the facebook question:

How many times have you heard someone complain and say, "Facebook friends aren't real friends"? Then they add with a touch of arrogance, "I miss the good old days when we actually would talk to each other in person; now it's just facebook and text messages"?

For the record, let me just say my facebook friends are real friends. If a person takes the initiative to send me a friend request, or if they are willing to accept one from me, then they are real friends, barring a few stalkers who just want to see videos of my chicken plucker. (And even they can be my friends, because I'm kind of desperate).

Seriously though, over the years I've realized it's not easy to keep up with friends from the past...or present. Friends tend to come and go, and life takes us all in so many different directions. Facebook has made it easier than ever to keep tabs on people in your life. I know it's helped me.

A friend at church recently blamed facebook for his weak devotional life, saying he sometimes skips his morning Bible reading because he gets distracted by looking at facebook, reaching first for his smartphone before reaching for his Bible. (Yeah, I miss the good old days when there was nothing to distract me from my morning devotional!) Don't blame technology for that. Rather, today we have the privilege of carrying any number of Bible versions in our pocket....right on our smartphones! In the history of the world, it has never been easier to read than Bible than it is today. And then go post an inspiring verse for your friends to read.

So anyway, if you ever hear me complaining about modern life and longing for the good old days, please slap me back into the 21st century. Truth is, I'm happy to live during this social media era. In fact, go ahead and send me a friend request on facebook right now. We'll connect. We'll get together for breakfast. I might even treat...as long as we go to Denny's.

No comments:

Post a Comment