Thursday, March 1, 2012

Sleepless in Mount Laurel

Insomnia can be a serious problem. So can amnesia. To suffer from both is known as Insomnesia. It's when you stay awake all night, but can't remember it in the morning. Ha! Just kidding. I made that one up.

 (Not actual footage of me)

I'm glad to say I usually sleep like a baby. No, not in a crib. I mean, soundly and peacefully, and all night long.  But some nights, for apparent and unapparent reasons, sleep eludes me. Take last night. I couldn't sleep. Here's how it played out:

I drifted off to sleep quickly some time after midnight. At 1:00AM a sick child puked in our bed, so we had to get up and change the sheets. Hey, it happens. No biggie. Poor kid. I'll cut you some slack for disturbing me. But just this once.

Then, at 2:00AM, my iphone, quietly charging on my alarm-clock-ipod-docking-station beside the bed, decided for no apparent reason to start playing music. Odd, but still, no big deal. I turned it off, and rolled over to try to catch some more sleep.

No dice. I felt cold. Especially chilly were my legs. And I felt agitated inside. I have no idea why. Maybe just annoyed that I was still awake. I put on socks. But it didn't help, so I got up, grabbed a snack and another blanket, which I ate in bed. The snack, that is, not the blanket.

I think I drifted off to sleep. But I awoke a short while later, now roasting hot and still agitated. So I grabbed another snack and my ipod, which I ate in bed. The snack that is, not the ipod. I spent a good 45 minutes listening to my special Pandora channel called "Juan Gabriel Radio." I love that music. I no longer felt agitated,  and I drifted off to sleep yet again.

But once again, it would not last long. Sofia needed a snack this time. She had fallen asleep that evening without her usual pre-bed bottle feeding, so she apparently got hungry and decided to let us know about it. So it's now 4:00AM, and I'm awake yet again. I could see that Nancy had about 3 pillows piled over her head, so there was no chance of Sofia's pleas waking her up. "Looks like it's up to me," I thought. So I prepared a bottle for her in the kitchen, and returned to the bedroom. Desperate to try to use the remaining hours before dawn for much needed sleep, I woke up Nancy and asked her to feed Sofia.

Meanwhile, I grabbed a blanket and my pillow, starting to feel agitated again, and headed to the sofa in the living room. Where I slept like a baby till dawn. Finally!

Maybe tonight I should just start out on the couch....

No comments:

Post a Comment